Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 suggestions for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medication. Never ever before have a lot of new methods and clinical developments emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides millions of individuals the opportunity to reduce or remove their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and painless way to correct vision, but stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to assist make sure that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be fooled by fancy advertisements about a particular laser. Select the medical professional, not the laser.
3. Pick a doctor who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a doctor doesn't understand can hurt you.
4. Request details on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your medical professional Recommended Site will not tell you, discover another one. For leading surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask what steps are taken to avoid infection. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly sterilized, and insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized before your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the danger of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Beware of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgical treatment is as good as a discount rate parachute.
Anticipate to see really well after LASIK, but do not expect to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as specific as each client. Beware of any physician who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you probably are. Go in other places. You're not buying a car; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely offer better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't forget the benefits: for the majority of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually enhanced the eyesight of millions of individuals worldwide.